Timeline

Founded in 1916, YWCA Clark County emerged in the community to provide working women in town a place to eat lunch alone, or with their women friends and colleagues. Over decades of addressing community needs, we blossomed into the mission-driven, multi-service organization dedicated to empowering women, preventing violence, and eliminating racism and other forms of oppression.

Today, YWCA Clark County is proud to be one of Clark County’s largest nonprofit organizations serving more than 12,000 community members through various advocacy, education, and outreach programs, services, and events. Below is a timeline of significant events in YWCA Clark County history.

1916 establishes as lunch counter for working women
1920
organizes league of women voters branch
1927
receives charter from national association
1946
welcomes people of color; women gather for social contact, recreation, classes
1948
receives the bulk of the Mary A. Powell estate
1960
takes an official stand against segregation
1968 implements programs for interracial, interreligious understanding
1975 opens women’s emergency house
1980 implements sexual assault program
1982 casa advocates for abused, neglected children
1984 implements legal advocacy program
1988 implements children’s advocacy, y’s care programs
1990 implements ils program for youth in foster care
1992 implements safechoice domestic violence shelter
1994 gains recognition as agency of the year
1997 moves to a new location, expands programs
1998 gains recognition as agency of the year
2001 receives Helene Schoen estate donation
2006 implements eliminating racism workshop, safechoice legal clinic
2007 receives $1 million for y’s care children’s program from Ray Hickey
2008 implements social change program
2010 shelter becomes gender inclusive, receives the WSUV Community Award for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
2011 Y's Care implements Seeds of Empathy
2012 supports Ref. 74 equal marriage rights
2013 upports Violence Against Women Act, Y's Care updates outdoor learning environment
2014 receives building repair and upgrades